The Brussels Privacy Hub is proud to announce the next installment in its Meet the Author Series, held for the first time in two years in-person. This time, the Hub will host Prof. Jaap-Henk Hoepman (Radboud University Nijmegen- iHub, University of Groningen) with his book ”Privacy Is Hard and Seven Other Myths – Achieving Privacy through Careful Design“. The event will take place on 30 May 2022, between 12:00-14:00 (with lunch from 12:00 – 12:30) at U-Residence on the VUB Campus (Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels).
In his book, Prof. Jaap-Henk Hoepman debunks eight persistent myths about privacy. He thereby disproves the argument that privacy needs to be hard, arguing that if systems are carefully build with privacy by design in mind, technology might be able to protect our privacy. This is a relevant argument also for the context of the discussions about the regulation of artificial intelligence (AI) currently ongoing within the European bubble.
The debate will take place as part of the Meet The Author Series, which aims to give authors of recent books and articles on privacy and data protection-related issues the opportunity to present their work before a critical audience composed of academics, private sector practitioners, policy-makers and European officials. The event functions as follows: two distinguished discussants will present their views on the book, to which the author has an opportunity to react. Afterwards, there will be an extended Q&A with the present public on crucial questions.
- Prof. Hielke Hijmans (Belgian DPA, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) – Institute For European Studies), Chair
- Prof. Jaap-Henk Hoepman (Radboud University Nijmegen- iHub, University of Groningen), Author
- Prof. Mireille Hildebrandt (Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) – Radboud University Nijmegen), Discussant
- Christian D’Cunha – (European Commission, DG Connect), Discussant
Time: 12:00 – 14:00
- 12:00-12:30: Lunch and networking
- 12:30-12:45: Welcome by the Chair
- 12:45-13:15: Critical remarks by discussants
- 13:15-13:30: Reaction of the Author
- 13:30-14:00: Q&A and Wrap Up
Venue: The event will be in-person only at the VUB U-Residence, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Elsene. Access via Generaal Jacqueslaan 271, next to the VUB tram stop.
Registration: The event is free to attend but registration is required at https://form.jotform.com/221085492783361. Should you face any difficulties with the registration form, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.